"Packing List" Honduras Packing List Tip by John195123

Honduras What to Pack: 13 reviews and 6 photos

Luggage and bags: Okay, so you don't want to look like a tourist. First of all change your attitude. Don't feel sorry for the poor, as pity is very obvious, showing that since you have pity, you must know better, therefore you have money. For your luggage, don't bring your new North Face bag and fancy rolling suitcases. You want to fit in? Try a cardboard box. No joke.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Again, you want to fit in? No colorful clothing. No bright, flowery junk, no gold necklaces. For your new line of travel apparel, try on some old shorts, a beat-up T-shirt, torn jeans, old shoes...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sipro, Neutralizer of the Stomach!
Iodine tablets.

Photo Equipment: Simple is better, unless you are a true photographer, who, like myself, doesn't mind carrying the extra weight of four lenses, two polarizers, a flash unit, tripod (small and large), effect lenses, film bags, a cleaning kit, a sink from the kitchen, and your mother-in-law. Automatics, as much as it is against my photo-religion to say this, are the way to go for the quick snapshots. Bring etra batteries and film. Never rely on your destination to have what you need. I would like to suggest you take a auto/manual camera, an old SLR. That way you can add effects, and take much more professional photos.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Hiking boots and sandals for the region. Also, some rope and a few carabiners are always good things to have.

Miscellaneous: Look, you are a tourist, you are different, you are foriegn and there is nothing you can do to change the facts. I may sound mean or criticle or hating in the preceeding. I'm not. I love the people of Central America. I like the slower way of life. There are many aspects of Honduras that I would like to incorporate into my life. However, there are certain realities, and it helps no one to over look them. The people are different, they are poor. I choose, however, to not see them as poor, impoverished people who are below me and who I must help, but I see them as humans. I work every day with Mexicans, Guatemalans, and the like in my job, irrigation. I am on the same level they are. We are friends, or maybe we aren't, but we are equals. Sadly, most of them are illegals and will be working irrigation until they return home, though I hope to move up.

• Written Sep 7, 2002

“Will travel for food!”

Have you been to Honduras?