"Go to Chichicastenango for a..." Guatemala Favorite Tip by John195123

Guatemala General: 104 reviews and 81 photos

Favorite thing: Go to Chichicastenango for a really neat and colorful market.

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories oin Guatemala, was many years ago, one of the first times I visited the country. As a five-year-old blonde white boy, I was enjoyed by the locals as something they rarely saw. Somewhere around Chichicastenango we hiked up the hillside to buy some souvenirs, though the shops weren't as plentiful as they are today, and the objects bought were handmade, and not made in China. My father wanted me to do the haggling for the little thing I wanted. What it was, I don't remember. But, looking back on it, that experience was really amazing to me, as I was able, at that early an age, to haggle with people in another country, in another language, for something I wanted. The opportunity to do so, and the act of doing it I see as having built in me character, and humility, as today, though I am quite good at haggling, I know they need the extra few Quetzals, or extra money, and that I can give it up without losing any sleep. However, in countries like China where not haggling is looked down upon, I can get any price I want for something through haggling. That is not to brag, but basicallly to say that I learned at an early age to respect all people, regardless of income or life-situation, and I found a connection in the humanity between them and me.

• Written Sep 7, 2002

“Will travel for food!”

Have you been to Guatemala?