"Do you know Czerkawski? (about hockey)" Tychy Sports & Outdoors Tip by matcrazy1
Tychy Sports & Outdoors: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Hockey is one of the most popular sports activity in Tychy. You may practice or watch it in winter stadium.
Why hockey? It dates back 1990, when Mariusz Czerkawski (born 1972) played in GKS Tychy hockey team. He and GKS Tychy was on the top of hockey in Poland that time.
Czerkawski left Tychy for Sweden in 1991and he became the top hockey player in Sweden (1991-1994 in Djurgarden IF Stockholm). He became one of the top NHL hockey players when he had moved to America in 1994. He played in Boston Bruins, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders then (from Sept 2002) in Montreal Canadiens - poor man, must learn French quickly :-). Now he is top hockey player back in New York Islanders.
Less know (in my opinion) is the second NHL hockey player from Tychy, born in 1973 in Tychy, Poland
- Krzysztof Oliwa. He plays in Calgary Flames, Canada now. Before he played in Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins and New Jersey Devils. Haha, he is the great fighter, 4th in NHL in... penalties (937 minutes since 1998!).
Equipment: The equipment to play hockey is available only for members of GKS Tychy club. But you can rent skates and try figure skating in winter stadium (open to public all the year except hockey matches and technical breaks).
Directions: Eastern part of the city. Look for Stadion Zimowy in Polish.
More Sports & Outdoors in Tychy (3)
More Reviews (160)
- See All Religion
- See All Stone figures of saints
- See All Salads :-)
- See All With party barrel of Tyskie beer :-)
- See All Don't we like flatness?
- See All Old and new Polish cars
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Tychy?Share Your Travels