VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Eating times" Europe Local Custom Tip by paulapes

Europe Local Customs: 188 reviews and 202 photos

Those folks here in the States who haven't been to Europe...be prepared for a drastic change in eating times. I personally only know of Italy and Spain, but I think the rest of Europe (well not the UK) eats much later than we are used to.

Arrive at a restaurant in Italy or Spain earlier than 8:00 PM and the staff will more than likely look at you as if you have two heads :o) I found that the best thing for me was eating late breakfast, about 10:00....then lunch at 1:00 or 2:00 (if possible)...then supper around 8:30 pm.

You won't be done with your meal until 9:30 or so, so you'll need to go for a walk afterward!! (Ah, THIS is why the Italians walk late at night!) Then of course you should stop in at a bar and have something to drink on the way back..and then you might want to get a little snack....and oh, I'm stuffed!!

• Written Sep 2, 2002

More Local Customs in Europe (1)

Comments

paulapes

“I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message..”

Have you been to Europe?