"Oooh...cannons....!" Athlone Tip by orlikins
Athlone, Ireland: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Athlone Castle is on the riverbank, on the Roscommon side. It's not particularly imposing but when you climb up the turrets, you get a great view of the river and the town, which I'll post up once the pics are developed.
Inside the castle there are exhibitions about the history of Athlone, of course. The castle played an important part during the Siege of Athlone in 1691.
Anyway, after that hullabaloo, the castle was taken over and the army only vacated the castle a few years ago and it's now open to the public.
More Reviews (49)
- See All Ryanscaire (Ryanair
- See All "Whaddya mean we can't drink on Good...
- See All The Bridge Inn, Tullamore
- See All Tullamore Court Hotel
- See All Senor Ricos, Tullamore, Co. Offaly
orlikins' Related Pages
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels