"Torcello" Islands of the lagoon Tip by flydoll

Islands of the lagoon, Venice: 31 reviews and 38 photos

Favorite thing: I loved going to Murano, Burano, and Torcello for the day. They are mellow and of course totally geared for the tourists...esp Murano & Burano.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was spending a day on Torcello. It seemed to be standing still since the 15th century, There is an old church there, the roses grow up the side - they are an intense bright blood red. The feeling you get is of time standing still and there are places where the wild grass is a few feet tall.

I sat in the church - it was cool and very peaceful. Another time there was a service on and with media folks..don't know what. But it was great to observe a local ritual.

It is so serene and quiet. And then I had lunch at the cafe not far from the church. It was incredible. It was a simple zucchini ravioli with zucchini sauce and zucchini french fries sprinkled on top. I was amazed at the simplicity and yet quality.

If you get a chance and want to slow down and step back in time - go to Torcello!

Sometimes - when it gets really busy for me - I think of that day and invariably I smile and feel peaceful.

• Updated Aug 31, 2002