"Archeological site of..." Teotihuacan Tip by brighteyes79

Teotihuacan, Mexico City: 58 reviews and 93 photos

Archeological site of Teotihuacán
This is one of the biggest Aztec (if I remember it correctly?) sites in the area. It is very impressive to see it. It was the first site I visited of one of the precolombian cultures and I found it extremely fascinating. Especially if you know that the people who built it didn't have the material we have now. They had to get the huge stones from another area far away.

It is so overwhelming to walk over the 'calle de los muertos' toward the 'pirámide de la luna' with the 'pirámide del sol' on your right sight. You can climb up both temples from where you have an incredible view. Be careful though, because the steps have been used thousands of times and are not in the best condition anymore.

When you go in Summertime (rain season), you have to remember that there is a good chance that there will be some heavy rainfall for about an hour or so.

I can advise you to read about the history of the site before you go there (as you should do for every archeological site that you visit) since that will make you understand more of the culture on itself and why the site was built, etc. There is a museum by the entrance. It's advisable to go visit it first if you don't like reading about the history in your guidebook.

A few years ago, the Three Tenors (Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti and José Carreras) had a concert on this site. If you like this music, you could close your eyes and try to imagine what a great show it must have been!

If you are hungry after walking around on the site, there shouldn't be a problem finding something to eat. It's been 6 years ago since I was there and very possibly a lot has changed, but back then there were a lot of small 'restaurants' on the side of the long road that leads to the side. We ate among the Mexicans and there were hardly any tourists. The food was very good.

Directions: One of our friends took us there by car. But I suppose you will be able to look up in the LP how to get there. There will be busses and organized guided tours to get you there.

• Written Aug 26, 2002

Comments

brighteyes79

“Never stop dreaming”

Have you been to Mexico City?