"Flying is the way most people..." Israel Transportation Tip by angelis

Israel Transportation: 137 reviews and 140 photos

Flying is the way most people enter and leave Israel, through the security conscious Ben Gurion Airport.
For those on a more lesuirely itiniary, how about taking the Haifa -Piraeus Ferry. (or Piraeus-Haifa).
The ferry I took left Haifa, Northern Israel, on a Thursday afternoon and arrived at the Athens port of Piraeus about 8 o'clock Sunday Morning.
There were three port calls of a few hours at Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete, where you can disembark and visit the nearest town.

Make a note of the boats departure time from these stops and carry a reliable watch. My alarm clock ( my only reliable timepiece ) decided to stop when i took my son for a short walk into Iraklio and I arrived back at the docks to see the Sun Princess III in mid turn, with smoke stacks a- blowing, about to leave with my rucksack (and supply of nappies).

Fortunately for me the ship had not weighed anchor and a nice security guard radioed the captain to reverse back. The security and harbour staff seemed to find it hilarious, but the captain was not amused as they hiked my son, in his buggy, onto the ships tail gate. The cheers of my fellow deck passengers only made me more red with embarrassment.

You can travel as a deck passenger, (bring warm clothes and a sleeping bag, it gets windy at night), buy a pullman seat or rent a variety of cabins (basic to luxurious).

On our last evening aboard a lovely Glaswegian business man by the name of Jimmy invited us to use the shower in his cabin,and wash off the deck grime allowing us to arrive fresh in Piraeus.
Thankyou Jimmy wherever you may be!

Mode: TO
Type: Ship/Boat

• Updated Feb 7, 2003

More Transportation in Israel (1)

angelis Used To Live Here!

“"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Thorin "The Hobbit"”

Have you been to Israel?