"Oh my god! How does a person..." Chicago Restaurant Tip by Moondrop72
Chicago Restaurants: 1,404 reviews and 1,871 photos
Oh my god! How does a person pick one favorite restaurant in Chicago? It's impossible if you've lived there most of your life. Chicago has excellent cuisine which is great for business travelers on expense accounts but locals and budget tourists prolly can't partake. So read up on Chicago magazine if you want the latest chic places. But for a few favorites (all of them pretty cheap as well!) that aren't exactly on haute cuisine lists, here you go!
1) Potbelly's on State & Lake or Lincoln Park or the Nordstroms Mall on Michigan Avenue. Amazing sandwiches, I don't know a soul who isn't a fan.
2) Berghoff's on Adams. It's a Chicago tradition and I love German food. They have my favorite dish from switzerland there, Geschnetzeltes.
3)'Under 55' for breakfast. There is no better deal in Chicago for breakfast but sadly it's open Mon-Fri only. It's located under the 55 East Monroe building and designed mainly for the office workers but anyone can eat there and it's fabulous and about as cheap as you can get for brekkie.
4) Peking Chinese on North Avenue (I believe at North and Dearborn, Clark or Wells). It's a total hole in the wall. Very short on ambience but it has a great menu and one entree can feed you for a week. I love the food here.
5)Cambridge House - on Ontario and Michigan. this is a classic chicago coffee shop and not as well known as Lou Mitchells but I love it for your basic diner.
6) Tuscany on Taylor St - My favorite Italian place, dressier and more upscale in cost.
7) Ben Pao on Illinois St (I think). Really good chinese food, reasonable price, great ambience.
8) Jaffa Bagels in Illinois Center on Michigan Avenue - for a fabulous perfect carved roasted turkey sandwich you have to go here. It's got no place to sit, but the line wraps out the door and down the hall. If you go to Michigan and Water St, enter where you see and Burger King and a Bennigans, go upstairs and you can ask a guard where it is.
9) The Chop House on Chicago Avenue. Pricier at dinner but an awesome deal for strip steak at lunch.
1) Potbelly's...Cheap, fun, quick and delicious.
2) Berghoff's...A Chicago institution.
3)'Under 55'...Cheap, fast and 'local'.
4) Peking Chinese...Good food done quickly, perfect for takeout.
5)Cambridge House...Fast service, homestyle/comfort food.
6) Tuscany...If you've been to Italy, this is a good place to reminsice.
7) Ben Pao...Awesome atmosphere. it reminds me of an asian night club. very zen, very soothing yet exciting.
8) Jaffa Bagels...Take out only.
9) Chop House... Another Chicago institution.
Favorite Dish: 1) Potbelly's...Roast Beef sub or the Wreck w/ a bottle of rootbeer. If you like spice, don't forget the hot peppers!!
2) Berghoff's...Geschnetzeltes or the chicken schnitzel.
3)'Under 55'...Breakfast bagel or omelet. Includes a free coffee too.
4) Peking Chinese...chicken wings, General Tso's chicken. Anything I've had here is good.
5)Cambridge House...great coffee. Grecian Chicken, Hot Roast Beef Sandwich, French Dip or breakfast.
6) Tuscany... Pear ravioli, penne brivada, a bottle of Lucente wine.
7) Ben Pao...I like the Kung Pao and potstickers here.
8) Jaffa Bagels...carved turkey on a wheat roll - this is thanksgiving turkey were talking about here!
9) Chop House... the strip steak luncheon. Fabulous and an awesome deal for steak in Chicago
More Reviews (8)
- Grant Park garage offers good...
- Chicago is getting safer and...
- Be decisive, particularly at...
- Packing List
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels