"St. Louis Arch" Missouri Things to Do Tip by WFTR

Missouri Things to Do: 112 reviews and 152 photos

We all know that The Arch is the defining symbol of St. Louis. Anyone who visits St. Louis should try to make some time to see it. I don't need to trumpet its value, but I'll say a few words in the hopes that people don't shortchange themselves on their trip there.
<p>
First, The Arch itself is impressive from either the inside or the outside. The park around The Arch is mostly grass, and when I was there you could walk on the grass. I always wanted to take a frisbee and throw frisbee in the park. For photographers, the arch offers many opportunities for shots. They can be artistic shots, standard travel shots, shots of friends, or anything else that interests you. There's a nice little church nearby, and shots of The Arch and the church together can be pretty neat.
<p>
On the inside, there is an 'elevator' ride to the top of The Arch. The 'elevator' is actually a little car that looks like the inside of an industrial dryer. I'm no longer certain that I could get inside because of my claustrophobia. It is small and cramped. At the top, the view over the city and the river is spectacular. There are little benches that allow you to lie on your stomach and look down at the city below.
<p>
Another 'can't miss' inside attraction is a museum of western exploration. The museum has beautiful photos of the American West and pieces of information about the Lewis and Clark expedition. Everything is beautifully arranged. I would leave at least an hour or two to see it.
<p>
The museum area also has a film on the building of The Arch. I didn't see the film because I didn't have time to sit through it all. I've heard that it is very good.

• Updated Aug 26, 2002

Comments

WFTR

“Liberty isn`t for cowards”

Have you been to Missouri?