"As I brushed the feathers away..." Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by iandsmith

Australia Warnings and Dangers: 237 reviews and 225 photos

Brush-tailed wallaby, still alive
by iandsmith

As I brushed the feathers away from my grille and lamented the passing of yet another dead parrot (galah specifically) I thought it might be a good idea to let travellers know about things you are bound to run into, literally, in Australia. I'll start with 'roos. Lovely little hopping things that most tourists are hanging to see. Sadly, the most that any tourist is likely to see of them in the wild is on the main road, and, not in an upright position and not laying down sleeping. More your dead type marsupial. The average damage in dollars they do per prang is just over $3,000 aussie bucks according to the latest insurance company figures and my own personal experience verifies that. So, how do you avoid them I hear you thinking. Really only one way - don't drive at dusk or night time in the country. If you see one during the day you'll be in the outback, doing some serious bushwalking or visiting a zoo. It's during night time when they mainly feed. They're not totally stupid, they try and avoid the heat of the day, unlike many tourists.
And, what about the parrots? Well, around spring and summer one is apt to find them picking around the side of the road. Certain types of grain have an intoxicating effect on some of them and you will find their reaction times are much slower than you realise. So, if you are cruising along at 100-120kph you are just about sure to hit one, especially galahs (that's the grey and pink ones). However, at around 80-90kph they tend to fly away in time. Excuse me, I just remembered I have to wipe the blood off the bonnet as well.

• Updated Aug 1, 2004

iandsmith Lives Here!

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Australia?