"If you're wondering about that..." Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Local Custom Tip by sargentjeff
Naples Local Customs: 53 reviews and 55 photos
If you're wondering about that little guy on top, That's Pulcinella, one of the many symbols of Napoli. Probably only second to Vesuvio and monstrous traffic
Pulcinella originated in Campania The nose has the form of a beak which ancients called 'pullus gallinaceus' It is thought the etymology of the word derives from the word 'Pulliciniello' that is pulcino or chick. Like Harlequin, Punch is a stupid servant who sometimes takes on contradictory personalities. He can be both stupid and astute, bold and cowardly and has an extremely lively expressiveness typical of Napolitans. The costume consists of a white coat constrained by a belt, a long hat and a black mask which highlights a hooked nose and wrinkles
More Local Customs in Naples (1)
More Reviews (76)
- See All When it rains it really rains
- See All Pianura - Real Napolitans, real culture
- See All The Banks on Via Toledo
- See All The Tangenziale
- See All Sort of a sport tip, but more for the...
- See All Capodimonte is famous for some...
- See All The "Audio Guide" at Pompei
- See All The inevitable Worker Strike
- See All The taste you'll never forget...
- Packing List
- See All Pinetamare - The Beach in Naples
- See All My favorite nighttime spot