"Viazul buslinesOn my last..." Cuba Transportation Tip by RickL

Cuba Transportation: 176 reviews and 162 photos

Viazul buslines

On my last trip I took the Viazul bus all the way from Havana to Guantanamo! The journey took over 15 hours and I arrived somewhat tired and not too fresh! Some things that may be of use to future long distance Viazul users:
1) They assign you a seat with your ticket and they cram everyone up at the front. Why? I'm not sure. But they pick up along the way at every city and they don't have assigned seats. So, if you are not happy with your seat, especially on longer trips, as soon as the bus gets under way...MOVE!!!
2)Be aware that they will stop at their own restaurant in the middle of nowhere. This way you have no other choice but to eat at this overpriced and lousy restaurant. So, eat before you get on the bus or bring your own food.

3) Don't expect to sleep! They will be playing videos of Cuban origin or old U.S. movies dubbed in Spanish. People will be getting up to use the washroom all night and they continue to load and unload in every town. My advice: have a Cristal (or two) and hope it knocks you out! Also, bring a jacket as the A/C gets quite cold at night.
4) Talk to other people waiting at the Viazul station. In Trinidad, we met two guys from California who also wanted to go to Havana. The 4 of us all hopped into a taxi who would take us there for cheaper than the Viazul fare! It was also A LOT FASTER!

Here is a link to the Viazul bus website for fares and schedules:

Buenas vacaciones!

Type: Bus

• Written Aug 26, 2002

RickL Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Cuba?