"This last trip I planned on..." Cuba Transportation Tip by RickL

Cuba Transportation: 176 reviews and 162 photos

This last trip I planned on several trips with my Cuban family in Guantanamo. Most of these difficulties I encountered with the officials would probably not occur in Havana and may be inconsistent in other cities:
We had hoped to travel to Baracoa for two days as it has been described as one of the most beautiful places in Cuba.. We went to the Immigration Office and asked for an A-2 visa, which we didn't get. At the same time we asked about taking the family kids to Baracoa. They said because I was not married to any of them we could not stay in the same casa with the kids! The kids were devastated and so was I. In fact, because I showed some disrespect to this official by sitting on his desk he sent a person around every day to the family home to make sure that I was not staying there since it was not a legal casa.
No problem I said after informing the children that we would not be travelling to Baracoa! I suggested that we rent a car and head to the aquarium and dinosaur theme park at Bacanao, west of Santiago, for a day. The morning we went to pick up the rental car it was broken and it was the last one. Great disappointment all around again. Hmmm!
Their grandmother manages a farm outside of Santiago. Okay, I said, if we could borrow the grandmother's farm truck I will pay for the gas (and then some) and we could take even more of the kids to Bacanao! Once again smiles all around. Unfortunately, the only day we had left availible was the same day she needed to take the pigs to market! Even then it would be risky travelling in the same car witha tourist can be treated as a very serious crime depending on what area of Cuba you happen to be in and how the policeman feels on that particular day.
I took the kids downtown for an ice cream instead. In my mind it was not much consolation but the kids didn't care and apparently just wanted to spend time with me. (see picture).Travel with Cubans was more difficult than I anticipated. I went back to Havana where I stayed with my Cuban friends in Miramar area. No A-2 visa, not a legal casa and no problems with the CDR. So as I said in the beginning... the rules around travelling with Cubans are inconsistent and inconsistently applied depending on where you are in Cuba.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

• Written Aug 26, 2002

Comments

RickL Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Cuba?