"As I have told many would-be..." Cuba Local Custom Tip by RickL

Cuba Local Customs: 140 reviews and 128 photos

As I have told many would-be travellers, the good Cubans do not spend all their time hanging around the airports, parks or hotels to hassle the tourists. I have met many Cubans and some have developed into friendships while others would NEVER be my friends. I remember asking my Cuban friends what their hobbies were and the response....'WHAT HOBBIES?? We spend all day cooking, cleaning, standing in line shopping and washing clothes!!! We don't have any free time!!!!' They don't have microwaves, washing machines or even decent mops. Cooking alone takes many many hours a day in fairly archaic kitchens. I brought pictures on my last trip of my kitchen renovations and everyone was so focussed on the microwave and size of the kitchen! You'd swear they were going to break out in tears! The better Cubans do not hang around the tourist areas shouting 'Where you from?', 'Cigars?', What time is it?'.
I am receiving letters from the Cuban children asking me to come back to visit because they are bored! The adults were so busy doing the basic chores that no one was able to play frisbee in the streets, play checkers or even just talk with them. It's not that they don't love the children very much but free time is a scarce comodity for most Cuban families. A great gift was a frisbee because they don't take much space and every kid can learn to throw a frisbee. They only knew the basic throw so I had to show them how to do tricks with it. Everyone in the neighbourhood came out to watch the 'estranjero loco' playing with the kids in the street!

• Updated Aug 26, 2002

Comments

RickL Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Cuba?