"The Plaka" Plaka Tip by asturnut

Plaka, Athens: 11 reviews and 7 photos

Plaka
by asturnut

A lot of travel companies glorify the Plaka as a place where you can journey into an authentic Greek shopping and dining experience. It's bull. There's nothing authentic about it. The Plaka is a place you will either love or hate. I hated it because I wasn't prepared for agressive haggling sales people and the tourist kitsch was being passed off as authentic.

Of all the places I've been, (New York City included) Greece, especially the Plaka, was the place I felt that you are most likely to be ripped off, conned or mugged. (No offense!) Anyway, I wasn't warned when I went, so I didn't know what to expect. If you plan to visit the Plaka, enjoy it for what it is- a slice of Greek commercialism. You'll pay inflated prices for inauthentic merchandise, period and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Unique Suggestions: If you can find an affordable accomodation the Plaka would not be a bad place to be stay because of the proliferation of eateries in the area. It's also a choice place to stay because of it's proximity to the Acropolis and the fact that the main part of the Plaka is closed to cars- pedestrians only! Personally I would prefer to stay in an untouristy area though... the local eateries I found in the neighborhood I stayed in can't be rivaled by the places in the Plaka.

Fun Alternatives: I have a photo I have been debating for a long time about to post with this tip. At first glance it just appears to be a bunch of faux-Greek merchandise available at one of the shops in the Plaka. Upon further inspection you will notice the focal point of the photo is a minotaur displaying his humoungous nude, erect phallus. I was postively shocked when I observed this item for sale right at curb side. ( I think I'll refrain from posting the pic... so I heisted this one from www.athenstaxi.net)

• Updated Jan 28, 2005

Comments

asturnut

“Live like a tourist no matter where you are.”

Have you been to Athens?