"The first time I went to..." Trains Tip by chantie

Trains, Stockholm: 19 reviews and 22 photos

The first time I went to Stockholm, it was by bus and I came from Halmstad. That was ok, the trip lasted one day

The second time I went by train from Alkmaar, where I live (30 minutes from Amsterdam). This trip was quite alright. I was alone, which was no problem as I like to travel alone. It's just that the trainservices in Holland suck so I missed the train to Amsterdam, which make me miss the first train to germany aaaaargh!

Technically, it is possible to get from Amsterdam to Stockholm in one day. The trip is: Amsterdam-Ösnabruck, Ösnabruck-Hamburg, Hamburg-Copenhagen, Copenhagen-Stockholm. It will take a whole day, but travelling by train is lovely in Germany, Danmark and Sweden when you're used to the Dutch railway company!

GOOD TIP to plan your trip, if you leave from Europe and go somewhere in Europ: www.bahn.de! The German Railroad website is abolutely the best.
Most people will arrive in Stockholm either at one of the airports (most visited is Arlanda) or at T-centralen, the centrail train- and subway terminal. From the Airports you can take the Flybus (Flygbuss) to T-centralen easily.

At T-centralen, go to the information desk (99% of the people there speak English!) and get a map of the subway, and a free map of the sity. The subway was my favourite transport in this city. With the map of the subway, you can easily plan your trips. You can buy a card for the subway for a whole day and travel around the city with that.

Type: Train

• Written Aug 26, 2002

“life is hard... but not as hard as the front of a train”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Stockholm?