Da Men Lou Restaurant: "Chinese Food in the heart of Chinatown!" Singapore Restaurant Tip by volarevolare
Singapore Restaurants: 946 reviews and 1,240 photos
Da Men Lou Restuarant -- it's situated on Ann Siang Hill and don't be confused by the 'Hill' in its name. This street is really on a small knoll... heehee...
The good thing about this place is that you can stay at their hotel, just adjacent to the restuarant!
It's a really small restuarant and quite quaint. You can choose to sit inside where it's airconditioned or to sit outside along the 'Five Foot Way' -- the walkway outside the shophouse. I say, sit inside anytime! The weather's too hot!
This place is quite quaint given that it's housed in one of the old shophouses in the Chinatown area.
They have about 9 tables inside the restaurant and another 3 or so outside. There is no need to make an advanced reservation at this place.
So far, we've always just managed to walk-in and get a seat. I suppose if you really want to ensure a table, you should call.
Favorite Dish: 1. Steamed Fish Head with Black Bean Sauce -- it is absolutely delicious! This is the Song Hee head (Song Fish) and it's a fresh water fish, so the flesh is nicely fragranced with an earthy smell. It is steamed to perfection, and the fish is succulent and flavourful! The gravy of black beans goes very well with steamed rice too! Yummy!
2. Fried Chicken with Prawn Paste -- another favourite. Chopped chicken parts fried a golden brown with prawn paste which gives it a delightful fragrance and a mouth-watering flavour! A definite must for chicken lovers! There's Southern Fried Chicken and there's Prawn Paste Fried Chicken! ;p
3. Fried Kang Kong vegetable with garlic -- the wok must be very hot to fry this vegetable so that it's still green and crunchy when served. Badly fried ones are over-fried, and they lose their colour and become too limp...
an alternative to this vegetable being fried with minced / whole garlic is to have it fried with sambal (hot spicy chilli paste) and cuttlefish! Try it if you want to eat something hot and spicy... if you don't want the cuttlefish, just have it fried with sambal. ;)
4. Fried Tau Gay with Salted Dried Fish (aka. Fried Bean Sprouts)-- again a savoury dish that is also garnished with dried mushrooms and some carrot slices and garlic! Yummy!!!
Address: 12 Ann Siang Road (Chinatown) Singapore 069692
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Quite near Maxwell Market in Chinatown. The nearest MRT station is Tanjong Pagar MRT station. Ask for directions from locals to Maxwell market. People should know where Ann Siang Road is! ;p
Price: less than US$10
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum
More Restaurants in Singapore (3)
More Reviews (16)
- See All Honeymoon tips for 2011: Feb -- Jun
- Night Jaunts in the Town
- See All Last Minute Deals in Singapore
- See All A place worth visiting would...
volarevolare's Related Pages
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels