"Lake Eildon National Park" Rural Victoria Tip by eviltooth

Rural Victoria, Melbourne: 19 reviews and 44 photos

Lake Eildon
by eviltooth

Whenever someone mention Lake Eildon I get very excited, because this is the first national park I visited in Victoria (and the 2nd in Australia, the 1st one was the Blue Mountains in New South Wales) when I came here in 1998, and also the first place I saw a wild koala. My friend was driving like a mad man testing out his new 4 wheel drive in the middle of the night when he almost ran over the koala running across the road. Be very careful, don't drive like a mad man/woman eventhough there're no other cars around, there're always the animals. Many koalas (and other animals) were killed by irresponsible drivers, don't end up being one yourself.

If you are going fishing in spring and the lake appears dried up, DO NOT drive your car onto the area! Yes, the mud is cracked and look dry and you'll be in for a big surprise when you realise your car won't budge! Fellow anglers tried to rescue us with their 4 wheel drives but ended up getting stuck themselves. It took a lot of men power (yup, the guys'd to push heehee) to get us outta that mud hole.

• Updated Jun 10, 2003

“I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!”

Have you been to Melbourne?