"Quilotoa Circuit" Ecuador Favorite Tip by darthmilmo

Ecuador Favorites: 78 reviews and 66 photos

Favorite thing: The Quilotoa Circuit is one of my most cherich experiences in South America. This is due in part to the phenomenal scenic spots. However, the most amazing part of the circuit is the cultural immersion one goes through in the region. I recommend you leave the couple of fancy B&B behind and spend your time in the local run guesthouses. For the weak at heart, or the lazy folks like me, there is no need to trek the Quilota Circuit for several local buses and, in their absence, trucks ply the routes of this are. So wonder off the beaten path and spend a few days traveling through the Quilotoa Circuit. In less than a week, you can experience an amazing local market at Zumbahua, you can view the beautiful green lagoon of Quilotoa, you can hike around the lovely town of Chugchilan, and you can ride your way out back to civilization on the back of a milkman who buys milk from the locals. I HIGHLY recommend this side trip. I consider it as one of the best cultural trips one can take in South America (or at least what I know of SA). Anyway, more information on the Quilota circuit can be found in my Ecuador (check out my travelogue; and the general and must-see-tips), Laguna Quilota, and Chugchilan pages.

• Updated Oct 4, 2002

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Ecuador?