VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"History and Hospitality" Athens Favorite Tip by jenn_d

Athens General: 349 reviews and 363 photos

Olympeon in the shadow of the Acropolis
by jenn_d

Favorite thing: Do not listen to anything negative that people say about this city! Athens is a densely populated, bustling place. I did not find it any worse for wear than many of the other major cities I have visited at home and abroad. I really get angry when I hear people say that it is dirty and smoggy and not worth a visit. Those people have missed the entire purpose of a trip here and probably only saw Athens from the comfort of an air conditioned tour bus before getting on a ferry and heading to the islands!

Fondest memory: After dinner, ouzo and dancing in the streets I wandered up to Aeropagus Hill just above the Agora and right below the Acropolis. I sat on the slippery rocks for several hours sharing a bottle of wine with strangers and singing familiar songs with locals and people from all over the world. It was a very unifying experience. I was even more delighted with a display of fireworks off in the distance celebrating the Olympic torch leaving Greece and heading for Atlanta.

• Updated Sep 4, 2002

More General in Athens (1)

Comments

jenn_d

“Live with Intention”