"Packing List" Ohio Packing List Tip by Thalor

Ohio What to Pack: 9 reviews and 2 photos

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring an umbrella if it is spring time beceause you will be afforded many occaisions to use it, if you are in the Cleveland area.

Bring a warm as heck down jacket, gloves, scarf, and a ski/stocking cap - if you are coming up here in the winter. No wonder so many Russians come here to settle - they probably think the weather is nice because it is slightly warmer than 'back home'. And it is, slightly.

Does it really get cold up in Cleveland area during winter time? I have two words to say to you: 'exposed skin'. Try not to have any in December/January time, or it will go numb if you are walking around outside for an hour or so.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Tip: stay dry in spring and warm/covered in winter!
Summer on the other hand is pretty mild and all round nice, almost dream-like. I am from DC area, so that is my basis for comparison for these 3 seasons in Ohio. (DC is muggy in summer, rarely gets near zero in winter, and doesn't rain all that much in spring and in fact is usually pretty bright that time of year.)

Bring those sunglasses! Ohio is very flat in the Cleveland area at least and they do not seem to build tall buildings like I am used to myself. So what happens is that at dawn and evening you get the sun barreling down into your eyes like a laser if you are walking or driving towards it. There is no natural or man made barrier to stop it. Don't forget to bring sunglasses!

Miscellaneous: It was so cold in the winter up in Ohio that my car battery died on Christmas eve and I had to walk a little over 3 miles from my office back to my temporary accomodations across town that night. That is why I am such an expert on the cold winter air up there.

Thank goodness there was a CVS drug store half way between the office and the place I was going so I was able to buy a warm ski cap and other stuff. It was 15 degrees that night and snowing lightly, with a decent though not overpowering wind.

• Written Aug 26, 2002