"Did the two usual trips - to..." Greece Things to Do Tip by Sheri_Z

Greece Things to Do: 910 reviews and 1,597 photos

Did the two usual trips - to the Acropolis, of course and a little cruise to Hydra and Poros.

We made one big mistake -- tried to go by bus from Glyfada into Athens. If you don't speak Greek, don't try this, and in the summer, it's too hot to get lost. One bus let us out somewhere near the main public gardens, so these were pretty, but then couldn't find the next, and on our return we just walked down as the bus never came.

And yes the Parthenon is magnificent, as is the museum at the summit.

The cruise I found in the folders in our hotel. So it was a little pricey. But for a family trip it was fun - me and my son, and my friends and their son. The tour company arranges a pickup for you from hotel to port. The boat trip was fun and there is a huge lunch and an extremely loud bouzouki band and dancer as entertainment on the way. Hydra, Poros, and one other small island which had pistachios and we went to the beach there. On Poros we found donkeys and the kids got to ride them. There are real tourist traps here, but it's so pretty with the bright pink bougain-villa against the white houses.

• Written Aug 26, 2002