"CAIRO:We then took a B-line..." Egypt Favorite Tip by gayguy17

Egypt General: 631 reviews and 622 photos

Favorite thing: CAIRO:

We then took a B-line for Cairo a big and vibrant city, the biggest city on the continent. At first I was overwhelmed by the noises, smells and rush of activity of Cairo but after a couple days in the City I was starting to really like the place. I'll just take you through a couple of the main spots (and I do mean a couple - the Egyptian Museum and the Pyramids).

The Egyptian Museum has the largest collection of Ancient Egyptian artefacts in the world. The collection is amazing, especially the Tutenkhamen treasure room. Though King Tut was did not reign Egypt for a long time and did not impact the country his berrial spot in the Valley of the Kings (more later) was hidden and treasure-hunters did not find it, leaving an amazing treasure for the world to enjoy. The huge collection at the museum is infact a mixed-blessing since the place is actually cluttered and hard to navigate - definitely worth a good guide - but even if you're not into museums go to this one.

The second big attraction in Cairo, and one of the most recognisable monument in the World is Giza and it's Pyramids. Though after WW2 the pyramids were a good 30 or 40Kms into the desert from Cairo, today the city goes all the way to Giza. Infact the best view of the site is from a KFC/Pizzahut restaurant! I have to admit I was hugely disapointed by the pyramids, my whole life I heard about them as this amazing place, and though they are mysterious and a great feat of engineering, I find them over-rated. Obviously there are crowds of tourists and though I was expecting them, they did spoil the spot - though of course I was one of them myself thereby contributing to that anoying factor of the mob. Though we were unable to go into one of the main pyramids (there is a restriction on the number of people who are let into the pyramids to protect them) we did enter a smaller one. That was an experience, but the only really good one of my visit to Giza.

One last thing about Cairo is, get away from the tourist sites, walk through the streets and soak in the city, it's an incredible place.

• Written Aug 26, 2002