Top of the World Club: "A plethora of establishments to choose from!" Thule Restaurant Tip by balfor

Thule Restaurants: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Dining area of TOW Club
by balfor

There were actually three places to get food (other than cooking it yourself) in Thule. You could eat at the Dundas Dining Hall, the Danish Club and the Top of the World Club. Since I didn't like the cafeteria (which REALLY wasn't that bad) and don't speak Danish, I was pretty much limited to the Top of the World (TOW) Club.
All of the wait staff were professional Danish servers. (don't know the exact term that is used for a professional waiter in Europe, but unlike here in the U.S. being a waiter is another lifelong occupation instead of something to do while you are going to college.) There was also a baby grand piano that was brought in during the early part of '97. It was computerized so it could play itself, but we had several fine pianists on the base who came in on Friday and Saturday nights to play for the diners.

Favorite Dish: As I was one of the Chef's at the club, we had to opportunity to experiment quite a bit. Something Kristian Kampdahl (the head chef) made was a curried chicken with a cream sauce that was wonderful. As it wasn't on the menu, though, only the employees got to enjoy it!

One item that was very interesting to us Americans, even though we didn't generally partake of it other than in limited quantities, was the smorbrod or Danish open faced sandwiches. These sandwiches are not what a typical american thinks of as an open faced sandwich. They are quite a production with certain meats on specific breads. They had very specific ingredients for each type of sandwich. And I must say, a platter of a dozen different open faced sandwiches looks extremely impressive!

Address: Just south of the North Pole
Directions: It is, to the best of my understanding, the most northern Restaurant in the world.
othercontact: The TOW Club is a fully equipped
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 0
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Dec 16, 2002

More Restaurants in Thule (1)

balfor Used To Live Here!

“Okay, I got it all together.... now where did I put it?”

Have you been to Thule?