"Visit Border Gate, at the..." Macao Favorite Tip by dzni

Macao General: 84 reviews and 96 photos

Favorite thing: Visit Border Gate, at the Chinese border, on the other side of the island. It's famous for its architecture, but probably more for its political importance there on the border. Anyway, there is a customs/border crossing here too in a new building, but the old one is kind of just standing there.

Fondest memory: Ok, same place... Border Gate. We decided this should be the first place we go... this is just after we have passed through Macau Immigration upon arriving that morning from Hong Kong, and filled out the entrance papers and had our passports stamped. Then we get on a bus, and we THINK this will take us to border gate, but instead it just takes us to some random area of the island. We TRIED to communicate with the bus driver when we reached the end of the line, but he just made us get off. However, a nice woman who spoke English directed us in the right direction, and somehow we made it there. We looked for the 'Gate,' but couldn't find it... walked around the side of the street, not there. Came back and decided we should go in this museum-looking building. We got in line... and then before we realized it, we were leaving Macau! We had made it to Macau Immigration. So... another stamp (exit).... and then we walked in this no-mans' land between Macau and China, not really sure what country we were in. Now, we were a little skeptical about trying to enter China again (we had just been there a few days prior and our visa was technically not valid since we had left the country). And besides, the Chinese soldier looked a little imposing before the tunnel into China. We decided to stop at the Customs house first to see how much a visa would be... too expensive. So, we turned around and went back into the Macau customs house and tried to re-enter the country, filling out more declaration papers. Ugh. This time they were very skeptical of us entering. The poor guy didn't speak English and was very skeptical of my passport, so he pushed a button and over came a higher ranking guy. He spoke English and drilled me about why I didn't have a new visa if I just came from China, when I was leaving the country, and where I was going... after a pause he decided to let me in... PHEW! All told, I now have 4 stamps from Macau within probably a half-day's trip! Ah, but we found Border Gate, which is pictured here!

• Written Aug 26, 2002

Comments

dzni

“When I`m not traveling, I`d rather be planning the next trip!”

Have you been to Macao?