"I was conned on my 8th trip to..." Egypt Tourist Trap Tip by kushari

Egypt Tourist Traps: 219 reviews and 112 photos

I was conned on my 8th trip to Egypt.
When I was in an open fronted shop on main corniche in Aswan, 2 small boys aged about 8 years came up to me with an English 10 note and asked me to change it for Egyptian money. I felt quite safe about this, I took the 10 note checked it and placed it on the high shop counter. I then counted out my Egyptian money to them loud in Arabic so that we would all be clear about what I was giving them. One wee boy chatted to me during this (to distract me) as I counted the money out to the other boy. He quickly palmed one of the L.E. 20 Egyptian pound notes I had gave him (about 4) and produced a rolled up 25 piastre note (about 5 pence) and said I hadn't given him enough money. I said I didn't give him a 25 piastre note. I screamed for the Police and about 10 locals ran over to assist me, the shopkeeper explained to them what was happening. They grabbed the boy's hand, took my Egyptian money back and then I handed over the 10 note.
I was so angry that they would do this to me, well, a white female out on my own, I was obviously just asking to be ripped off.
This hasn't put me off returning to Egpyt.
Just goes to show you can't trust anyone, even children.

Fun Alternatives: Don't change money with anyone. Point them to the nearest Bureau Exchange.

• Updated Nov 3, 2002