"Greenwich" Greenwich Park Tip by eho

Greenwich Park, London: 12 reviews and 18 photos

Cutty Sark
by eho

Take a boat to Greenwich to visit the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Observatory. Marvel at the great British Empire that it once was, see the descriptions of the lands that it had conquered, and revisit scenes when the union jack was lowered from its last colony.

Go also to see the Cutty Sark and walk through the tunnel to the other side of the River Thames.

On your way back, take the Jubilee Line extension. This line had gone over-budget and had been delayed over and over again. When I visited, it was just a scaled-down system from what was originally intended. Constrast this piece of engineering with the glorious scientific history you saw in the Museums.

As someone who grew up in a British colony, I had mixed feelings when I saw the exhibits in the National Maritime Museum. On one hand, I felt the unapologetic arrogance of the Brits. There was no mention of the imperialistic hardship it had imposed on the people on their conquered lands, there was no apology on the aggressive behaviour, there was no remorse in the killings and lootings that accompanied the era. On the other hand, I was grateful that I live not in the times of the invasion, that I benefited from the British education system, and that I was exposed to the best of East and West.

Before the visit, I had dreamt of taking a picture in the Royal Observatory where I straddle over the East-West line. Unfortunately I arrived too late and could only take a picture at the narrow path outside.

I tried to go to Greenwich on two occasions. I had wanted to take a boat from Tower Bridge to Greenwich and then come back via the Jubilee Line. However, I stayed longer than I had expected at Tower Bridge so I took the DLR there.

Address: King William Walk, London, United Kingdom
Phone: 44 -20-8858-2608
Website: https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/greenwich-park

• Updated Feb 6, 2003

“To live with an essence”

Ranked Member