"Packing List" General advices Tip by solyoung

General advices, Moscow: 28 reviews and 16 photos

Luggage and bags: While most people just can't seem to grasp this, I recommend packing light enough so you only have carry-on luggage. Unless you're flying Aeroflot from JFK, its not likely you'll have a direct flight... and while I love Amsterdam, my bags have been lost during layovers in their luggage system multiple times. Packing light is easy, I'll explain below.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Check the weather on weather.com - you'll be able to see what the next week has in store and pack accordingly. If you're going to be using the metro for transportation, and it is by far the best way to get around Moscow, bring a comfortable pair of walking, running, or hiking shoes... its not that you'll be walking all the time, its that the metro is usually full of people and you're a jerk if you steal a seat and make an old lady stand.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Nothing special unless you need a special prescription. The days of Russia not having Western items are long gone... whatever you need, you can get it there.

Miscellaneous: The picture here is an accidental shot straight down while in the airplane... but it captured my bag and my feet perfectly! This is the ONLY bag I brought on the trip and I stayed for a week. In the summer you don't need a lot of clothes - Just bring what you need and pack LIGHT. I was extremely pleased about not bringing a lot of stuff when hour number 2 had passed while standing in line at Shermetyavo

• Updated Aug 26, 2002

“Today has been the greatest day of my life.”

Ranked Member