"Aachen Cathedral" Aachener Dom - Cathedral Tip by Sjalen

Aachener Dom - Cathedral, Aachen: 64 reviews and 175 photos

I think this is my favourite cathedral anywhere. It is so different from all the rest and looks quite byzantine in its decorations! You can see it in the photo here, which is the only one on my pages that I haven't taken myself since I knew I didn't have the equipment for what I wanted to show (but I have my version in the travelogue below with the rest of the cathedral photos not getting enough place here). Charlemagne's legacy really lives on in this building and don't miss it when in Aachen. You can see his gold coffin on display behind the altar, an area also covering a lot of restored stained glass as well as some modern additions and a wonderful gold detailed pulpet (again, see travelogue). But it is the entrance that is the most majestic as you first see the original part of the church with its byzantine arches and mozaic ceilings. There are also several side chapels, some open to the public. If you wish to see Charlemagne's throne, you have to go on a guided tour - the times are given at the cathedral office where you can also buy souvenirs.

Address: Domhof 1, 52062 Aachen,
Directions: Historical city centre
Phone: +49 241 47709127
Website: https://www.aachenerdom.de

• Updated Aug 19, 2006

Comments

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Have you been to Aachen?