"London" United Kingdom Things to Do Tip by Sjalen

United Kingdom Things to Do: 1,060 reviews and 1,155 photos

Elephant & Castle underground
by Sjalen

It just has to be seen since it is a world city. Whatever you do, don't expect to see England. London is full of Australians, Swedes, Greeks, Indians and Jamaicans and doesn't represent England. If you bear this in mind and instead focus on this mix of people and all the fun this brings and the sights you can see, you will have a great time!

I spent a year in London and I still consider it the best year of my life even though I was a student and pennyless most of the time. I have also discovered more atmospheric cities since, but the fact remains that the MIX is fantastic in London. You get food and music from all over the world in ONE place. There are also great places to see. I'd focus on a sightseeing tour if I had a limited amount of time as these cover a lot and you can then make up your mind where you want to go back. My personal favourites include Charing Cross Road as I love bookshops, Covent Garden (despite the tourists and pickpockets), Greenwich for the maritime feeling and naval museum, British Museum for the mummified cats, Highgate Cemetary (Karl Marx's grave and a bizarre mix of graves) and village, Hampstead Heath for a picnic with a view, Brick Lane for the Indian/Pakistani restaurants and a stroll in Wimbledon or Islington's centres for when you finally want that English feeling.

Address: The centre of the world...:-))))

• Updated Apr 18, 2006

Sjalen Used To Live Here!

“Use your brain - go by train”

Have you been to United Kingdom?