"When in Mexico visit the local..." Mexico Favorite Tip by Pink_Pash

Mexico General: 399 reviews and 315 photos

Favorite thing: When in Mexico visit the local market places. Don't go to much to the shopping centres, you won't get a feel fo what Mexico is really like. In the marketplace you can find most anything you may be looking for. From fresh fruit, to candies, arts and crafts, food, drinks, pets, articles of clothing, but most interestingly, cheap knock-offs of famous brands. You'll see Elvi's instead of Levi's or ay ban instead of ray ban. It's actually quite an experience, but be wary. The marketplace is so jam packed full of people that anyone could be a target for pick-pockets, locals and tourists alike. Be smart and don't take out a wad of money, being ostentatious will only make you a more prominent target. Be very aware of your surroundings.

Fondest memory: I hadn't seen my paternal grandparents in fifteen years, so when I finally decided to go visit them on my own I was in for the fondest memory of Mexico ever.
I remember knocking on their 'porton', a big wrought iron or steel door that's right on the street but leads indoors to a house. There they were, my grandparents, so overjoyed that they were in tears. I won't lie, I was in tears too. I guess grandparents are grandparents anywhere in the world.

• Written Aug 26, 2002