"The Church of Our Lady" Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk / Church of Our Lady Tip by OlafS

Maastricht: Church of Our Lady
by OlafS

Maastricht has some of the oldest, prettiest and strangest churches of The Netherlands. Take this Church of Our Lady for instance, with its front which is built like a fortress, a so-called westwork. This is Maastricht's oldest church, but it had a predecessor on the same location which was a cathedral in the very early Middle Ages.

And don't forget to look inside! It's so dark in here, typical for these Romanesque churches with their small windows, that you may wonder why the church was never replaced by a Gothic one. They did built a Gothic church next to it though, but that has gone long ago.
Warning: you're not allowed to take pictures. Why? No idea, the man who (quite unfriendly) informed me about this didn't know either, nor did he seem to care. "Ask the priest", he said. Even if you don't use flash or do not use a noisy camera, and thus bother no one, like me, you are not allowed to take pictures. This obviously doesn't have anything to do with respect for the churchgoers but everything with power. "We forbid you to take pictures because we can". My advise; to hell with stupid rules, take your pics as long as it disturbs no one. You can always say you didn't see the notice, like I did, as this notice indeed is VERY small and posted in the chapel, which you want to leave immediately anyway if you don't want to disturb the ever present crowd of praying people. It's almost like they don't want you to see the sign! By the time you are being noticed you should have been able to make a few pics already. If they don't say anything about it leave a small donation, but if you are treated as impolitely as I was, don't.
Of course you shouldn't even be thinking about taking pictures during a service. If you can get in at all that is, as services in this church attract a lot of people in the Summer.

• Updated Jun 27, 2003

Comments

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Have you been to Maastricht?