"Sting Ray City! Grand Cayman..." Stingray City Tip by rossandkelli

Stingray City, Cayman Islands: 26 reviews and 27 photos

Sting Ray City! Grand Cayman was a stop on our Carnival cruise and was the most exciting experience of our trip! We took a four hour boat cruise with Captain Marvin's (wonderful trip) to the barrier reef and sting ray city.

P.S. I don't know the guy in the picture, I pulled it off the net ;o)

The barrier reef had so many fish I couldn't keep track, I kept looking everywhere and seeing ones I never saw before! We also viewed a 5' Nurse Shark and a 6' Morea (not sure of the spelling) Eel! It was amazing to be that close!

We then went to Sting Ray City. Here you get off the boat in about 3' of water and the sting ray's come in the hundreds all around you! They bump into you, glide against you, feed them, hold them and swim with them. It was the most incredible experience!

No, Sting Ray's don't sting or bite you! First, they have no teeth, only a crushing plate inside their mouth so unless you stick your hand in their mouth, they won't hurt you. As for them stinging you...only if they are in danger would they sting. The stinger they have is smaller than their tail. If you look closely at a Ray you will see the long tail and then a shorter (but long) stinger at the base of their body...this is what they would sting you with. We asked and were told that it is very rare that this happens and when it does it is because people jump up and then step on them and that is their only line of defense. But, they are not dangerous...there were hundreds of people out there and no one got hurt!
Captain Marvins boat had limited people, about 20 so it was not over crowed. It cost only $35pp. We purchased the video of the trip for $50 but split the cost with a few friends, it was worth the money!

Address: Raliegh Quay, KY1-1207, Grand Cayman

• Updated Aug 26, 2002

Comments

rossandkelli

“Let's Go!”

Have you been to Cayman Islands?