"A Swiss Surprise." Switzerland Favorite Tip by feline01

Switzerland General: 375 reviews and 351 photos

Fondest memory: I was staying with my friend Paola in Milan and phoned my friend Susanne in Switzerland. Her boyfriend, who did not speak English, managed to convey to me that Susanne and her parents were camping in Locarno. I decide to hop a train from Milan to Locarno, a beautiful trip anyway and figured, I've never been to Locarno-if I don't find Susanne, I'll stay a few days and head back to Milan. I get to Locarno with no problems, head to the tourist office and ask about their campsites. The woman hands me a brochure that has 9 or so campsites listed. I figured I'd start with the closest one, only 1.5k away and then check out 1 or 2 more before finding the hostel. I get to the campsite and there's a reception booth. I ask for Susanne's family name and yes, they were there. The person lets me into the campsite (after signing many papers and confiscating my passport). I head to where they are camping and I see them (Susanne and her parents) enjoying breakfast. I yell out, 'Hey shtupid!' (inside joke). Susanne turns around and sees me. I hadn't seen her for almost 3 years at this point. She looked like she was going to faint. It was a glorious reunion, I stayed with them in their caravan and Susanne's parents went all out to show me a good time. It was fantastic!

• Updated Aug 26, 2002

Comments

feline01

“Love life? Go vegan.”

Have you been to Switzerland?