"I also highly recommend..." Trains Tip by slabeaume

Trains, London: 119 reviews and 153 photos

I also highly recommend getting a Brit-rail pass if you plan on leaving London and seeing any of the wonderful countryside. We used it to travel all over England and Scotland. With only 8 days there, we even took the sleeper train twice and it was really nice.
It was somewhat confusing when we first arrived, but didn't take long to figure out. There are several train stations in London. King's Cross station is the one we got off at when we first arrived in London from the Gatwick airport (about a 25 minute ride by trian). The building with the tall spires in the picture is the King's Cross train station.

There were 3 types of trains: the fast and fancy intercity trains; the sleeper trains; and the smaller commuter type trains. The intercity trains even had some benches facing each other with a table between them. The sleeper had a really nice lounge car and well as the double berth sleeper cabins. The smaller trains reminded me of a large monorail type of thing. Some even had someone come through selling refeshments from a cart similar to service on an airplane.

With the pass, we didn't have to get boarding passes or anything. Just jump on the train and they checked our passes on board. I really enjoyed riding in the trains.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

• Written Aug 26, 2002

Comments

slabeaume

“Live life like it`s a vacation!”

Have you been to London?