"We had the misfortune of..." London Local Custom Tip by slabeaume

London Local Customs: 717 reviews and 883 photos

We had the misfortune of having the paramedics being called to the train station for my daughter (17 years old at the time). Going down the steps, her knee dislocated and she was in great pain. I was amazed at how quickly help was on the way! Guards had the steps closed off in a minute or 2. One must have been trained in relocating dislocated knees because he asked her permission to move her leg. Very gently and quickly he worked it into place. By then, the paramedics were there. I asked about insurance and was told I didn't need it---which really surprised me! I thought it was free for them, but I didn't think they'd treat foriegners for free (although I did have our insurance stuff with me). The paramedic assessed her knee and said the hospital couldn't do anymore for it but wrap it and she could get that done at the first aid station in the train station. So we took her there --- in a wheel chair that they had easily accessable. Unlike if this happened at home, no crowds gathered to see what happened. The guards kept everything moving. The medical care was efficient and quick. Everyone involved really seemed genuinely concerned. I was extremely impressed with how everything was handled----and it was Good Friday!

• Written Aug 26, 2002

More Local Customs in London (1)

Comments

slabeaume

“Live life like it`s a vacation!”

Have you been to London?