"This is actually not a..." Massachusetts Nightlife Tip by dbauerle

Massachusetts Nightlife: 13 reviews and 5 photos

This is actually not a recommendation. This is a stay-away notice. Sofia's was recommended to my husband and me by the folks at Tapeo.
We love to salsa dance - my husband is Latino - and they said that this is THE place in Boston. We went and stood in line for half an hour and paid $10 each to get in (totally acceptable, we ARE from Chicago), but once inside, we saw that there was another long line to reach the upper floor, where apparently all the action was. They were clearing the tables on the main floor (it is also a restaurant) and a man was standing at the bottom of the staircase and letting just a couple of people up at a time. My husband went to ask him what was going on and the guy told him that he would let us right up if he would give him another $20. We saw him letting groups of single women and men with wads of cash right up the stairs. I was appalled at the complete lack of class and style, both of the place and its patrons. My husband and I were prepared to spend money on drinks, but not to bribe our way in to a half-rate club. Come to Chicago - now WE have some classy places for couples to salsa/merengue the night away. Please patronize Club 720 at 720 N. Wells St. if you ever visit (I am in no way connected to the ownership of the club, we just love it)! First class all the way and no bribes necessary!

Dress Code: Women: Spandex and very little of it (helps you to get in the door and up the stairs for free), spiky high heels in a flashy color like gold or silver, big hair, dramatic makeup, cheap perfume.
Men: It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you adorn yourself with lots of gold jewelry and a large wallet. Splash on large amounts of cologne.

Directions: I don't remember - we took a taxi.
Theme: Dancing

• Written Aug 26, 2002

Comments

dbauerle's Related Pages

dbauerle

“You only live once!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Massachusetts?