"Up near the castle, we..." Old Town Tip by bluefelt

Old Town, Edinburgh: 14 reviews and 23 photos

Up near the castle, we stumbled into an old library where the woman who worked there looked up my geneaology. Turns out I'm not immediately Scottish. I'm Nordic...cool. Not Scottish, but it was free.

There are antique stores all over the city. I thought they were incredibly cheap. In America, if anything is past 40 years old, it becomes this incredibly expensive item and they hike up prices. Some of my old clothing from the 80's is already cool again. Ed. has an amazing amount of vintage clothing and furniture, but alas, it didn't fit into my suitcase. Go there for doorknobs and trinkets. There's a great place right next to the Art College.

This is a picture inside Mary King's Close, an old street from centuries ago that was blocked off to avoid the spread of the Black Death or Plague...lovely. I went on one of the many tours (Mercat Tours) and had a really great guide who told us all the gross history and fascinating facts about life in those times. This particular room is said to be haunted by a little girl. People are allowed to bring her things and leave them in the room. I think the things are scary enough!

• Written Aug 26, 2002

“What is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Have you been to Edinburgh?