"The quickest way to reach..." Jordan Transportation Tip by maykal

Jordan Transportation: 104 reviews and 79 photos

The quickest way to reach Jordan from Syria is to take a service taxi between the capitals. Don't try this on a Friday though, as drivers don't like to hang around at border crossings waiting for people to change money, so you'll arrive in Amman with no Jordanian currency! Amman is spread out over several hills so it was impossible to get my bearings, and stupidly I listened to a taxi driver tell me he would take me to a bank...of course, with my rucksack safely locked in the boot, he informed me that all banks were shut, my chosen hotel had burnt down the previous night (unlikely...I stayed in it 2 weeks later!), my second choice hotel was full with conference guests (hmm...also very unlikely, considering it was a budget hotel!), but never fear, he knew a very good hotel! The very good hotel turned out to be a very expensive hotel, then with the meter spinning out of control, we first made a trip round the 5* hotels, passing McDonalds at least 5 times, before I shouted at him to take me to a cheap hotel. In a backstreet somewhere, we found a very dodgy looking hotel, but as it was late I didn't argue and got out of the car. The hotel was in my price range, so I decided to stay, but still I didn't have any money to pay the taxi driver, apart from Syrian which he refused. I outright refused to pay the price on the meter, because I had not asked to be taken on a 'sightseeing tour', and luckily the receptionist agreed with me. The driver didn't back down, and considering that my rucksack was still locked in the taxi, he was in quite a good position. A fuse in my head blew, and I walked out intop the street, screeching all the swear words I knew in Arabic and in English, relating my sorry tale to the whole neighbourhood...as expected, a fairly large crowd came to see what this mad foreigner was harping on about. Pretty soon, other people were arguing on my behalf, and the boot opened. I grabbed my bag, threw a handful of Syrian notes at the driver and disappeared behind the crowd...the driver was still asking for more money, but I knew I had paid more than enough for that trip...
Two weeks later, when returning to Damascus, it just had to snow...not heavily, but even a few flakes cause chaos on Jordanian roads! Of course, nobody wanted to travel that day, but I had to...my visa was about to expire, and I had classes and exams in Damascus to get back to. After waiting 3 hours, I decided that no one else was going to turn up, so I told the driver to take me to Damascus for $30(it started at $60). Lo and behold, when we were just setting off, two other passengers arrived, friends of the driver, and I didn't see any money change hands...I very much doubt if they paid $30, or if they even paid at all. So, that wasn't my particular favourite service taxi route!!! If you want to test your luck and patience, visit my <a href='http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.133814/1589/?s=B'>Damascus</a> page to see what you'll find at the other end of the trip!

Mode: TO