"Borjomi" Georgia Hotel Tip by maykal

Georgia Hotels: 45 reviews and 73 photos

BORJOMI: Lonely Planet failed me here...they recommended the Hotel Tbilisi, which is free of refugees and supposedly quite upmarket (for Georgia). They certainly had free rooms, but unfortunately that was all they were, rooms. No water, because there were no taps in the bathrooms, no sheets because there were no beds. The lobby was impressive, with marble floors and chandeliers, but there was no-one behind the desk to show me a room, and I had to search the town for the owner. He told me to go to one of the sanatoria, which don't usually accept casual guests without a doctor's note, but they would rather break the rules than see you sleep rough in the street.
I paid 5 lari (US$2.50) for a room for the night. I arrived after meal time, but someone found a half-eaten loaf for me. My room was next to the toilets, and had a window looking onto the corridor, so all night the infirm shuffled past and had discussions on their way to relieve themselves.

Unique Qualities: The smell of cabbage, the pictures of people enjoying themselves in Soviet times on the walls, the joyless faces of the current guests (mostly old), and the cinema-style seats in the lounge. It felt very much like a Home for the Bewildered.

Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Not far from the Mineral Water Park is the Sanatoria Firuze (well, at least I think that was the name...it was only written in Georgian, which I am not an expert in reading!)
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Other

• Updated Nov 3, 2003

Comments

maykal

“...”

Have you been to Georgia?