"Sinop" Turkey Things to Do Tip by maykal

Turkey Things to Do: 1,137 reviews and 1,882 photos

by maykal

Getting to Sinop had been a very uncomfortable journey...we'd started early from Amasra, and had to take local buses between villages on the coast (standing room only, most of the time) and reached Sinop just as the sun was setting. Instead of staying in a hotel, we were invited to stay in someone's house...they told us it was a pansiyon, but it turned out to be the couch in the living room...still it was far cheaper than any of the hotels would have been, and our host let us be completely independent (in fact, he was never there!), so it was a good arrangement all round. Sinop had high expectations from me...I expected the ancient city to be much more evident, and the coastline more dramatic. The nearby beaches were OK (a bit seaweedy and crowded), but the town proved to be mostly modern. Later I found out that the best beaches are only reached by car...damn!
Sinop was where I had my first experience of a Hamam (Turkish Bath), and we also found a great place for coffee...on top of the city walls was a cafe popular with locals because of its excellent folk music. If only it had been a little less windy!

Directions: My Sinop Page

• Updated Oct 27, 2004

maykal Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Turkey?