"Windhoek : pleasant small city..." Planning a trip, highlights and helpful links Tip by dreamworld

Favorite thing: Windhoek : pleasant small city (the capital). You will find anything here. Be careful at night as there is some crime. I personally was 'approached' by a group of teenagers begging me for money so much....that was right in front of the Central Post Office. If 2 army guys were not walking through this zone...I could imagine they beat me down. The army men shout so much to the teenagers...I almost thought they would use their gun and kill them.....impressing but stressing.

Waterberg Plateau : a pure delight !!!!! Small national reserve on a 'plateau' (mountain top), very green, good contrast with the desertic area, Wildlife is fine but nothing like lions or hippos...only antelopes and smaller things... Still this place is great great great !!!

Mariental + Rehoboth cities : I drove through and did not find anything interesting. But if you like old colonial buildings, it's worth a stop

Swakopmund : the main Namibian port is very photogenic !! Full of old 'German-style' houses. Very quite. There's a huge beach but water is extremely cold (due to an Antarctic currant). North of Swakopmund you may watch seals from some places.
I took the only regular train line in Namibia running from Swakopmund to Windhoek (10 hours trip...very very slow....) stopping everywhere. Funny experience. Lock you out in your cabin especially if you travel 2nd or 3rd class. I heard about some crimes.

Namib Desert / Sosslusvei...great !!!! If you're not afraid of EXTREME heat !!! It's a 1 hour walk from the parking lot to see the biggest sand dunes in the world !!! Rewarding but DO CARRY AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF DRINKING WATER PER PERSON if you don't want to have real health problems. If you suffer from heart disease I strongly don't recommend this excursion. It's was so hot that part of my shoes became like chewing-hum !!!! (I am serious).

>>> the picture shows a global view of WINDHOEK, the modern capital of the country <<<

Fondest memory: Etosha National Park...one of the best National Parks in the WORLD !!!!! Really, I am not exagerating. Wildlife is very abondant and sceneries are so great. You may wake up very early in the morning (04:30AM) if you want to catch the best...and also avoid packs of tourists, noisy, making animals run away....

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“live a love of life”

Have you been to Namibia?