"Packing List" General advices Tip by lavell

General advices, Moscow: 28 reviews and 16 photos

Luggage and bags: I suggest a fairly rugged bag - if you will only be in Moscow, a bag on wheels will be alright, but bear in mind that the pavement does not always run smoothly and those little wheels on suitcases are not as tough as they would like to think!
So - either wear it on your back or take a set of portable wheels.
I would recommend a day pack - nothing too fancy, but be careful about what you put in there - just as you would in any big city - this should be for your water, guide book, packets of tissue (more later on this) and a sweater - By the way, this is summer time I am talking about.
You should always have a spare plastic bag, more for the sake of tradition than because there is any difficulty in finding plastic bags. Actually, for tradition, you should have an 'avoska' a string bag which is 'by chance' - for when you find something 'by chance' Great tradition

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: SUMMER ONLY - I will come back and prepare a WINTER list separately, as these are two entirely different wardrobe we are talking about!

Loose, comfortable clothes, cotton. It can get comparatively humid (I am not comparing this to the tropics) in the summer and there is not much in the way of airconditioning outside the top hotels and restaurants.
You will be doing a lot of walking - wear comfortable shoes. You can wear really high heels and break them in the cobblestones, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Your clothes and shoes may get quite dusty - they water down the streets each morning in summer - supposedly to keep the dust down, but all it seems to do is make it humid and encourage mosquitoes.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Packets of tissue paper (pocket kleenex and the sort) are almost my #1 tip - you can buy them over in Moscow, but always carry them with you - toilet paper, scrap paper, lens cleaner - why, you could even blow your nose on them!

Mosquito/Insect repellant or after-sting cream - this is a bit of a personal matter, but I find I react really badly to Russian Mosquitoes (not Australian, English, Canadian or French ones) So I always have a tube of anit-bite relief cream and some antihistimine tablets.
All of this you can buy in Moscow pretty easily, but if you have a favourite product from back home, might as well bring it with you.

Photo Equipment: I will double check in 2001 - but in 1999 it was almost impossible to buy APS film and I had not come across any place that would develop it in Moscow. So, bring it with you.

• Written Aug 25, 2002