"Food n DrinkSan Antonio is a..." San Antonio Restaurant Tip by PookieRabbit

San Antonio Restaurants: 229 reviews and 254 photos

Food n Drink
San Antonio is a great eating and drinking spot. You won?t be surprised to hear that San Antonio excels in Mexican, Tex-Mex and BBQ but there is everything else too from the humble hamburger to fine French cuisine.
I am sure the locals and guidebooks will tell you to eat away from the tourist hot spots of the River Walk and to a lesser extent the Market Square but I shall concentrate on these areas ? after all most of us are tourists.
I should say that I found the food on the River Walk surprisingly good for an area that in truth could pretty much serve any old rubbish and still get away with it. The same goes for service.
Of course you probably either cant afford to eat at a restaurant each day or simply don't want to. There are fast food options too - downtown you will find a McDonalds and Taco Bell.
I shall not bother trying to review every restaurant in San Antonio just a few we tried -
County Line - A Texas chain. If you can BBQ something it will be here. I can recommend the mixed platter if you want to try a bit of everything.
Joe's Crab Shack - a countrywide seafood chain with pretty good food which to be fair I ordered incorrectly. Not quite as good as the Red Lobster chain in my opinion but maybe a bit more fun.
Hard Rock Cafe - the worldwide chain with the usual range of above average burgers where you pay a bit of a premium for the name and memorabilia.
Rio Rio Cantina - miss the starters if you dare as you can stuff your face with the complimentary taco chips and sauce but don?t miss the mains whatever you do! Tex Mex menu with some of the best ribs I have ever had.
Mi Tierra - a bit of an institution in the Market Place which offers home style Mexican cooking 24 hours a day. I found the service a little surly but the locals seem to swear by it - can?t be bad.
Margaritas - a great spot for a quick bite and drink in the Market Square. Put me down for a half a dozen ice cold gulf shrimp and a Margarita.
Finally if you are after breakfast there is a Denny?s pretty much downtown.
The local beers are Lone Star, Pearl and Shiner, my favorite. I would go for the Bock - our waiter on the first night said he wouldn't wish Pearl on his worst enemy.
Most of the restaurants have bars mostly used by patrons waiting for tables - the Hard Rock cafe being a notable exception.
However if I had to recommend a couple of drinking spots downtown they would be the bar at the Menger Hotel and that the bar at the Buckhorn Saloon & Museum. Neither cheap however.

Rating: 0
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Have you been to San Antonio?