"The flea markets were a..." Chile Off The Beaten Path Tip by Cherie_J

Chile Off The Beaten Path: 87 reviews and 112 photos

The flea markets were a sensory over load! You could find everything there...music, fish, clothes, furniture, medicine, etc.

The produce in Chile was something of its own I must say. I would see apples that were the size of cantalope, carrots as thick as cucumbers...It the land of the giant fruit and vegetables! Chile exports the majority of its produce...much of is what we receive here. The more average produce exported and the over/under sized food remains. But that isn't always the case. I am not a tomato fan in general...but those tomatos are sure tasty! tasty!

I am seen here with a friend I made ...David. He was selling tomatoes for ....let's see back then it would be about $600 pesos to the dollar..and a kilo is 2.2 lbs...so you do the math. He was having a real difficult time selling his produce and I made a bet I could sell every tomato he had! THANK GOODNESS I did not have to eat my words! So, I began to call out Durito Tomates...100 pesos...Duritos Duritos...if someone was admiring the tomatoes at the next stand I would say...oje 'po' mires a mis tomates...ven aqui y compras los tomates de la gringita!

I'd recommend getting to know the vendors at the flea market and stepping in to do whatever it is that they are doing! Everyone can have quite the laugh!

• Written Aug 25, 2002