"HYDROFOIL. I took the..." Budapest Transportation Tip by Alcinoe

Budapest Transportation: 564 reviews and 611 photos

HYDROFOIL. I took the hydrofoil (boat) from Vienna. This was an interesting trip down the Danube on an extremely fast hydrofoil. The views of the river were lovely and entering Budapest from the river was a magnificent experience. My first glimpse of the city was of beautiful bridges and buildings. Good, inexpensive meals and drinks were served on the hydrofoil, and the steward was quite knowledgeable and pointed out and described various landmarks along the way. The trip was a bit claustrophobic, though: the entire boat was enclosed, with the exception of a few tiny areas where one could stand in the open air surrounded by the very high sides of the boat. Every time I got up to get some air, my seat was taken over by one of the dozens of Icelandic ladies who were on board. I would recommend this way to travel, however. It is different, the boat is interesting and the majestic entry into Budapest is well worth it.
Walking is best: it is a pretty city, and walking makes it possible to stop and absorb the breathtaking views, to notice little architectural details and to smell the jasmine blooming in the parks. Public transportation is also great. I took both buses and trams and found my way around easily. I would not recommend driving. People here seem to drive worse than Bostonians, something that I did not think possible.

Type: Bus

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Ranked Member

Have you been to Budapest?