"Karlin Theatre..." Czech Republic Things to Do Tip by Alcinoe

Czech Republic Things to Do: 314 reviews and 407 photos

Karlin Theatre http://www.hdkarlin.cz/english_version/index.html
This pretty theatre, which was built in 1881, specializes mostly in operetta, which is very popular among Czechs. I went there this summer to see Zeme Usmeva by Lehar. The performance was in Czech and the audience consisted mostly of ordinary Czechs: quiet, well-dressed and polite. I had a wonderful evening and the fact that I didn't comprehend much of the dialogue did not detract from my understanding of the basic plot and my enjoyment of the music and the surroundings.

Of all the sad pictures I have seen of the damage that the floods have done to Prague, the picture of the Karlin Theatre standing in a sea of deep water affected me the most. This was a place not simply for tourists, but for Czechs themselves. Several buildings in the vicinity of this theatre have collapsed, and it is obvious from the photographs that the Karlin will suffer extensive damage. I only hope that it will be returned to its former state and not neglected because it is not a major tourist mecca. I wish that there something I could do to help.

• Updated Aug 25, 2002

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Czech Republic?