"My friend and I decided to..." Xi'an Restaurant Tip by jeaniek13

Xi'an Restaurants: 94 reviews and 123 photos

My friend and I decided to stay at the hotel the first night and rough it the second night. During the first day in Xi'an, we had a meal at Mum's Home Cooking (mostly tourists, in fact it was all tourists). The owners were so friendly, that in jest my friend asked them if we could pass the night in the restaurant--she wanted to be up all night long till our departure from Xi'an. That second day, after visiting the Terracotta Warrior Soldiers, we went to Singapore Fast Food and killed an hour there (5-6 p.m.) then moved onto KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)--we stayed there talking away until the restaurant closed. Since our options had expired, we took a cab to Mum's Home Cooking. There we ordered dinner and planned to have a quite evening... Some of the employees and tourists had gone clubbing (we opted out of it after a long day). Meanwhile, the other employees began putting chairs together. At first, my friend and I didn't know what they were doing--but then we realized that they aligned the chairs because that was their bed. Oh, we felt so horrible for disturbing their usual sleeping pattern. We were about to leave, but the owners kept insisting that we stay--we couldn't get out of it. So we stayed, sitting, eating, drinking a half-way decent beer and smoking awful and quite apparent imitation American cigarettes. In China, if you buy Marlboro Lights, Camels, whatever the brand (non-Chinese), they all taste the same. The outside packing is a perfect imitation, however the actual taste is horrible. So for you smokers, bring your own cigs, or accept that you'll be smoking fakes... if you're brave, smoke the Chinese cigarettes. But there was no way that either of us would--the pungent disturbing odor and taste would knock us out. (The reason I know this is when I lived in Korea for a year, I shared a guesthome with 2 Koreans born and raised in China. The husband once had several other Korean-Chinese men over and they were smoking those horrible cigarettes (I know it's all relative and I shouldn't pass judgment, but they were so *#$! awful...), called Prince. Nasty!)
Back to my original point, my friend and I were sitting at the round table, talking and eating when all of the sudden we began to hear noises, squeaks and the pitter patter of something. Our worst fears were confirmed--RATS. It was bad enough there were many mosquitos flying around, but now there were rats, too! We quickly put two chairs together and put our feet on them so as to not make any bodily contact with the floor, and changed our clothes to longer garb. That night, I slept 30 minutes, with the help of my Lonely Planet China guidebook as my pillow. Face down. We were so extremely thankful when the sun rose and the restaurant's doors opened for business. Regardless of what we experienced that night, my friend and I had breakfast and ordered lunch from them and headed off to Guilin. Oh, looking back, I still can't believe we did that.

Favorite Dish: Well, it wasn't the rats.

Rating: 0
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Comments

jeaniek13

“W-A-N-D-E-R-L-U-S-T”