"When I decided to come here, I..." Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Favorite Tip by BEETLE_VERTE

Guadeloupe Favorites: 25 reviews and 21 photos

Favorite thing: When I decided to come here, I was looking for a leisure vacation. I wanted to burn on the beaches and drink coktails under a palm tree; but I also wanted to stay away from touritic resort or Club Med like organized activities as much as possible. The french ‘Art de vivre’ of the French West Indies archipelago attracted me. Any of you who visited France will rediscover it here in a caribbean version. Distinctive traits will give away the french link. But aside from my doing-nothing-thing, I was able to visit the island with the countless excursions offered. They were linked with the hotel or travel agency or they were private. I didn’t took a bus tour, which I found too crowded and impersonnal. But my tours in a mini-bus, with 2 to 4 other peoples and guided by a local driver, were very intersting. We were able to ask a lot of questions and learned a lot, not only on the regions we were visiting, but also on the life here. It was very friendly. We laugh, hike and eat with Eddie and Patrick. There are also boat cruise to visit the islands surrounding Guadeloupe, but in one week, there’s just not enough time!!!

Fondest memory: All day long, you’ll wonder what is that smell in the air; your nose will fill with a mix of cinnamon, rum, sugar cane, vanilla, salty alizee and hot sand and skin. Your ears will fill of sweet and suave music, from tonic zouk to lustfull beguine. Everywhere you look, an amazing view appears to you; beachs from paradise, rich rainforest, coral reef, colonial architecture, markets, cliffsides overlooking the ocean, deep dark mangrove, Soufrière volcano, waterfalls… Your mouth will discover creole cuisine, spicy and delicious, with fruits, veggies and fishes. And the sun on your skin feel so good! This is what I'll remember the most: the complete sensorial experience!

• Updated Aug 25, 2002

Comments

BEETLE_VERTE

“Mon pays ce n`est pas un pays, c`est l`hiver!”

Have you been to Guadeloupe?